PASS THE TORCH (old site -- visit new site at 2passthetorch.com)

Monday, September 25, 2006

SPARK Peer Tutor Training

I promised I'd give you a rundown on my San Jose SPARK Peer Tutor training, and Delightful Duchess asked for more information, so here it goes!

SPARK Peer Tutoring is a program I initiated as a school guidance counselor, then published when I started my company, Empowering Youth, Inc. Peer tutors provide a valuable service to students, in an era of high academic standards, and low resources. The SPARK Peer Tutor Training Manual gives educators the tools they need to appropriately prepare tutors for their service. Many districts pay for SPARK programming with No Child Left Behind funding.

Tutors learn about the 40 Developmental Assets, student needs, communication, sensitivity and study skills during the four-hour, activity-based training. Sometimes, advisors prefer that I come to train their tutors, and that's what I did this weekend at San Jose's Archbishop Mitty High School. I love these trainings because I'm always so impressed by the youth and educators that invite me.

I promise I'll be around to visit your sites as soon as I catch up. See you for Pass the Torch Tuesday tomorrow and have a great week!


Pass the Torch

3 Comments:

  • I second that (i.e. with what waya said)... great job you are doing for the youths! there should me more of you around!

    by the way, that girl in the glasses doesn't seem like she is having much fun or she has something irritating her nose ;-).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 5:19 PM  

  • Thanks Waya an the foo!

    Too funny about the wrinkle-nosed girl. One activity is a very challenging communication exercise. She's frustrated, which is the point of the activity. Afterward, we discuss ways to make communication easier.

    By Blogger Kelly Curtis, At 7:01 PM  

  • Thanks for the post for "Me". I am really interested in anything that can help our students. Do you have an information packet that I can give to my school?

    Love the picture of the "confused" girl.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At 8:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home